It’s semi-final time and time to get it done, The Gardiner Plumbing Div 2 team is through to the finals already but has one last hit out against NPOB over at Vogeltown Park with a kick-off 1.00pm. Our Pacific Haul Div 1 team head to Hawera on the bus to take on Southern at Hicks Park Hub with a kick-off 1.00pm, the boys will need to take there A-game to pip a very good Southern team.
After a lot of emails going backward and forwards the TRFU has the final say and our Tukapa Premiers will play Stratford/Eltham at 1.00pm.
I feel a little disappointed that the TRFU has sided with Stratford/Eltham because their team is made up of a number of farmers and has disregarded our situation of having both the Premier and Division 1 teams playing the semi-finals at different locations at the same time. This means our development players are not available to sit on the bench for the Premier team as is the case during the regular season.
Having said that it is important that we as a club get the business done and get out there and support all 3 teams to help get them through to the finals.
Be sure to win, or lose we will all get back to the Chook house for a great night Saturday to party with our mates.
Blue and White For Life Scotty your Chairperson
Semi-Finals: For the Record
Being knock-out matches, semi-finals can be cruel. A team can dominate all season and go into a semi with a perfect winning record only to be upset and end up missing the chance to win the championship title. Although our A’s especially have made the semis frequently, it’s fair to say that over the past 20 years or so we have unfortunately come up short in semi-finals more often than we care to remember.
For the record, the statistics on how our A’s and B’s have done in semi-finals are as follows:
- 1996: The A’s won their semi but lost the final against NPOB
- 1997: The A’s won their semi but again lost the final against NPOB
- 1998: Both our A’s and B’s lost their semi-finals
- 1999: The A’s lost their semi v NPOB but the B’s won their semi and then beat NPOB in the final
- 2000: The A’s won their semi but lost the final against NPOB; our B’s lost their semi
- 2001: Our A’s won their semi and then won the final against Eltham/Kaponga
- 2002: The A’s won their semi but lost the final against NPOB
- 2003: The B’s lost their semi
- 2004: The A’s lost their semi v NPOB
- 2005: The A’s won their semi and then won the final against Inglewood; the B’s lost their semi v Inglewood
- 2006: Our A’s lost their semi-final against Inglewood
- 2008: The A’s lost their semi v Coastal
- 2009: The A’s again lost their semi against Coastal
- 2010: Our A’s won their semi and then won the final against NPOB
- 2011: Once more our A’s won their semi and again beat NPOB in the final
- 2012: The A’s lost their semi against NPOB
- 2013: The A’s lost their semi v Clifton
- 2014: The A’s lost their semi v Inglewood
- 2016: Our A’s won their semi and then beat NPOB in the final; the B’s lost their semi against Southern
- 2017: The A’s won their semi and then went on to beat Coastal in the final
- 2018: The A’s lost their semi against NPOB
- 2019: Our A’s lost their semi against Spotswood United.
Overall, the statistics tell us that for the Senior A’s and Senior B’s combined there have been 28 semi-final appearances over the past 24 years for 11 wins and 17 losses. Let’s hope its two wins from two this coming Saturday.
Saturday's Premier Semi-Final
If you are unable to come to the game on Saturday, be aware the game starts at 1.00pm and you can watch it live here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS_JmsQVpdTxduaMwjGycIQ
We will also have the Game Day program available on our website here: https://www.tukapa.co.nz/programme/
If you look there now you will see the program for our last home game against Clifton. So check for Saturdays Game Day Program on Friday night.